Thursday, June 12, 2008

Favorite place, favorite team




On Tuesday, we kicked off Gabi's summer vacation with a spontaneous day trip to the Cities. We started with lunch with a friend in Maple Grove, then headed to Chanhassen to spend a couple of hours at the arboretum ~ one of my very favorite places to visit.

We were a little early for the height of the peony bloom, but had perfect timing for the iris.



One of the very fun things about the iris garden at the arboretum is that there are lots of older varieties ~ Dusky Challenger, Beverly Sills, Stepping Out ~ that my mom grows in her garden. These are varieties that I haven't seen in years, and seeing them at the arboretum is like visiting with old friends. I get downright wistful.

It was also fun to see the lady slippers in bloom. The arboretum has a few different varieties (the fancy ladyslippers weren't blooming yet). These are such unique and fascinating flowers. They were blooming both in the wildflower garden and along the bog walk ~ which we enjoyed on Tuesday but I wouldn't recommend it once the mosquitoes are out in full force.



After spending a few hours wandering around the gardens, we drove to Minneapolis to catch a Minnesota Lynx game. Now, I am admittedly one of the least jock-ish people I know. Please don't ask me to name any professional football, hockey, basketball or baseball teams or players. Or anything like standings, rivalries, scores, scandals, etc. It's not just that I don't know these "vital statistics." What is truly dazzling is my utter indifference.

However, I love going to Lynx games. I love the crowd, I like supporting the athletes, and there's something vibrant and thrilling about the WNBA. Also, the women don't play it like a power sport for the star poser. There aren't many slam dunks in the WNBA. Instead, there's finesse and teamwork, and that is so much more interesting. So, my birthday present from Gabi was Lynx tickets. What fun. I am slowly learning a few of the rules as well ~ although my complete bafflement at what does or does not constitute a foul would likely drive a true basketball fan to tears. Unfortunately, the ladies lost. However, it was a great game.

Oh ~ and in the off chance that it matters to any of you ~ they played Connecticut.

No comments: