Monday, August 18, 2008

READ - seriously!



I feel like jumping for joy ~ the summer reading program is done! It finished Saturday, and today I compiled all my stats, did all my prize drawings, put away the left over prize books until next year and directed my aide to tear down all the posters and bulletin boards. It's officially done.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the Summer Reading Programs. Nothing is more fun that working with the kids who are so excited about reading, geared up for programs, and just looking to have a good time at the library. But it is a lot of work. Sort of like the holiday season... lots of joy and good memories but it's a relief all the same when it's over.

We broke some records again this year. Over 200 kids participating, which is awesome for our little town of not-quite 1000 folks. Of course we pull kids from nearby towns as well, but I'm still impressed. And all these kids read a lot of books. So phenomenol.

Just to make it an even better day, while playing around online tonight (during commercials while watching The Closer) I discovered the new ALA READ poster generator. It is so fun. I'll have to get some pics of Royalton kids to make some local posters. What a hoot.

Check out the Flickr READ posters here. Lots of great ideas out there, from library folks and book-lovers alike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a successful program.