Friday, January 30, 2009

MToaS 26: Ning-ing-a-ling

Okay, here it is: I will try the Ning thing again. I can see the appeal of a social network created around a specific subject area. In fact, that's far more appealing to me than the broad-brush strokes of Myspace or Facebook.

One thing that is frustrating to me is trying to figure out who else on the 23 Things Ning is a GRRL member... not that I can't chat with other folks, but I'd like to know who else from Great River is active in the 23 Things loop. So many of us, however, are afraid to put real details on our profiles. We use nicknames or share no more than that we're from "Minnesota." I am as guilty of this as anyone else. For my picture, I used one of my cat. This will only help someone figure out who I am if they've had the privilege of meeting our "official greeter" Rosie. And, if they've gotten that close, they've probably already heard me chatter excitedly and incessantly about cool Web 2.0 things like GoogleDocs, PBWiki and WhenIsGood.

So... I dutifully added a couple of messages and sent one and updated a picture and other things on my profile. 

I think it is good to have the Ning be at the top of the list rather than at the end (not that we can't shuffle). I'm hoping that as the MoreThings group continues it will be used more, and therefore more worth the time to use...


1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

hey, good job creating the GRRL group on the Ning. I think people are more apt to reveal their identity this time so they can more easily work together on things. Well done, keep blogging!