Tuesday, February 10, 2009

MToaS 28: Netvibes and more

I checked out customized home pages during the first run of 23 Things, and I ended up sticking with my MyYahoo page. It was already created, and gave me all the information I wanted, and  I didn't see any other customized page that would make my Internetting more efficient or interesting. But I went through the customized web page ideas presented for Thing 28: read the articles, watched the clip, checked out PageFlakes and Netvibes.

This is what I think: I've often said that my life would make boring television. Well, I think it makes for boring customized home pages, too.

Ironically, it's my curiosity that causes a certain amount of the boring problem.

When I discovered RSS feeds and Google Reader I was so excited, why, I could sign up for everything that was interesting: NY Times, The Splendid Table, The Daily Beast, The Shifted Librarian... you get the idea. 

Then, the inevitable happened. I got my RSS feeds from all of these sources (and more), and, you know what? I didn't have the time, inclination or attention span to read them. So instead I listened to podcasts of This American Life and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

So the same thing happens when I look too long at customizable home pages. There are just too many options. I don't want that much information looking at me the moment I open up my browser. I like segues. I want to mosey from here to there as the time allows ~ or not. 

Which is not to say that I couldn't create a new opening page that gave me the limited options I need first thing. It's just that... well... MyYahoo is doing just fine for the moment, thank you.

That said, I am attempting to create a home page for the Royalton Library with NetVibes. Something for staff use, not patrons. I'm wondering if I can use a customized home page to provide us with easier access to our most-used non-GRRL reference sources. Sort of like bookmarks ~ just easier to see and move through, so more like hyper-bookmarks. I'm still playing with it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: