Sunday, March 1, 2009

Don't forget the Almanac

Last Friday I was subbing on the reference desk at HQ ~ and loving it! ~ and received a call from a gentleman who wanted to know about current US troop levels around the world.

A short parenthetical comment: this is why I love working the reference desk. I love getting questions that need thought and detective work! It is so fun to not just follow your own creative, curious lead, but follow one for a complete stranger. The world becomes so big when you discover how many questions people have, how many things they wonder, worry and want to know more about.

So, I took his name and number and spent several minutes looking online for information. I tried the Department of Defence web site, Ask sites, and, of course, the information landfill that is Google. I asked the two other reference librarians for suggestions, and they also typed in ever narrower and more specific queries. We found articles and information about this country or that country, this defense issue or that pundit's ideological calling card, but no simple, straightforward answer to the patron's question.

Then one of my co-workers said: "Try the almanac."

Within 45 seconds of touching the book, I had the patron's answer. A simple table of information: troop levels by country and region. Perfect.

We librarians stood there and shared a moment of joy. All the Internet's information power at our fingertips, and we found the exact answer we needed in a book.

No comments: