Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thing 30 -- RSS & Delicious

This is a great Thing, perfect for my occasional bouts of information overload. I love the ability to filter RSS feeds by tags and keywords. I've been exploring FeedRinse and the others to figure out which works the best for me. 

I loved FeedRinse's Crud Cloud which shows the what users most commonly filter out of their RSS feeds. What is beautiful about the Crud Cloud is that it looks, I suspect, oddly similar to what you would see if you had a tag cloud for most common RSS feeds. "Facebook" is huge on the Crud Cloud, as is "immigration," "Obama," "poverty," and "sex." What I want not to see is exactly what my neighbor is searching for. There is something lovely about that.

At this point, FeedRinse is the front-runner for me.

The other thing that floors me is just how expansive the RSS-iverse has become. You can e-mail them to yourself, use them to set up reminders for yourself, set meeting and event dates and even add a component to your social networking. 

Whod-a-thunk it?

No comments: