Friday, May 8, 2009

Digital Storytelling (MToaS 39)

Another fun one. I can definitely see how this would be applicable to library work. I loved the history pages about Laura Wilson on escrapbooking. What a great way to make history come alive and feel accessible to kids! Hooray! 

Just yesterday I was talking with my supervisor about how exciting the non-fiction publishing world is right now. More and more, non-fiction writers are jumping clear of the restraints of academia and bringing the layperson fun, intriguing, exasperating, amazing and generally fantastic stories about what has brought us ~ as people, communities, societies ~ to this crazy place we are today. I think these tools (MToaS 38, 39, etc) can be part of that trend. Very, very cool.

For many of us, I suspect that the biggest obstacle to embracing these tools in the workplace will be getting our respective organizations ~ schools, public and private libraries, etc. ~ on board. It's not as simple as getting a great idea about how we, as individuals with a techy-geeky bent (okay, maybe I'm just speaking for myself) could utilize Web 2.0 tools to advertise/celebrate programs and the work we're doing, it's also a matter of having our respective administrations jump on board and say "Yes! Go for it!" Even if they want to encourage us, there may be a whole gamut of obstacles that need to be overcome first, as well as issues of politics/funding/staffing/etc. that may take priority for their attention.

I ended up using Scrapblog [note: the link on MToaS page doesn't work]. It was ridiculously easy to figure out. I used a video that I made a while ago on my sweet iMac. It was already uploaded on YouTube, so a very simple matter to go grab it, add some funness and then easy-peasy posting onto Blogger. The way these tools are integrating makes it very easy to manipulate data of whatever format and spend the precious brain cells on creativity rather than figuring out the logistics of specific programs. Nice.

***

Oh, and lastly: I'm really enjoying Skitch. (My apologies to the Windows users out there.) I took a pic of a robin who's built a nest on the gutters just outside our porch window. She's gotten used to us gazing at her. Doesn't even do more than glare when Rosie starts chattering at her. (We do pull a curtain across the window to give her more privacy.) We can't wait to see the little robin-lings that will hopefully be coming.

No comments: