Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Playing with Pics (MToaS 37)

First, true confession: I'm the one who brings a camera along to a birthday party, leaves it in the car, and then, when the party is over, as I'm heaving my tired self into the driver's seat (purse, keys, water bottle, over shirt and ball cap spilling out of my hands) spontaneously shouts out "dammit!" when I see the camera case on the floor by the back seat.

In other words, I don't have many pics that I would want to upload onto Flickr, on the off chance that someone might actually look.

My sister Sherri is a brilliant photographer. She's sent us pics of her sons (I have the cutest nephews known to aunti-kind), panoramas of the high plains where she lives, close-ups of flowers and bees... all gorgeous shots. She's really an artist. Me, not so much. I'm more pragmatic than gifted when it comes to photos.

That said, it was fun to mosey around these picture sites. My Animoto experiment is below (the nicest thing about it might have been the ease with which it uploaded into Blogger). I did make a photo collage using Collagr (and some garden pics I uploaded last year for 23 Things). But, you know, it just really wasn't that interesting.

I did use Tiltshift to make the top pic of my cat Rosie a tad more interesting. I also used roflbot to create the captions. (I tried to use CaptionBubble but it wouldn't work for me. I'm wondering if there is a Mac vs. PC issue?)

So, all cool stuff. But I can't help wondering about the limitations.

We had a staff meeting today and learned that there are very stringent copyright rules for the Summer Reading Program graphics, wording, etc. So can we use these tools with any of them? I'd guess no.

We also have new branch pages for the GRRL web site (great new site) but I'm not sure whether we'll be able to add pictures or java script to our pages.

My lovely Gabi is a teacher, and I share many of these tools with her. But she's discovered that she can't use many of them for teaching because she can't access them from school. The school district has set such stringent limits on types of websites that can be accessed from school computers ~ including teacher's computers ~ that many of these great tools are little more than fun/cool/pretty things to think about.

That said, I do see lots of opportunities here. Just got to muddle a little more about how to actually put them to use.


No comments: