Thursday, May 14, 2009

Online TV and Video

I adore Hulu, and have been using it since I discovered it during 23 Things on a Stick. I admit that I most appreciate it when I'm sick ~ I curl up in bed with my itty-bitty laptop snuggled under the covers with me and watch sci-fi channel re-runs. It's great. I also know some people who have cut costs by dropping their cable and now catch all their TV online. It makes sense.

In fact, I watch a lot of TV online. If I miss an episode of one of my favorite programs ~ because of a TiVo glitch or because I didn't discover it in time to add to TiVo ~ I go online to find the episode.

It's been interesting to see how TV networks are adjusting to this trend. They make money by selling the full season DVD's, so I'm seeing more and more shows where the episodes are only available on Hulu for a limited time. After that, you need to catch it on re-runs ... or hope that your local library forks over the money for the DVD.

I haven't taken part in the video sharing opportunities, although that might be more interesting to me if I had a Facebook or similar account. I don't. I can't bring myself to want to, even if I can see how it would be interesting to hook into groups with similar interests to make new discoveries. In spite of this, I don't feel left out. I have friends who don't watch TV at all, yet they're bright, articulate, interesting and informed. Imagine it.

Another thing of note: a recent Time magazine article about The Mentalist described it as so old fashioned (it has definite nods to Columbo) that you couldn't even watch episodes online. The only way to see Jane catch the bad guys is to watch it on television. However, CBS execs aren't completely ignoring the Internet-TV phenomenon ~ you can watch teasers/trailers online!


No comments: