Friday, May 1, 2009

Generating Some Fun (MToaS 36)


I love the poem by ee cummings, In Just Spring, and so I used the Wordle image generator to make a wordle of the poem. Very fun. These are silly things, but they are rewarding and entertaining too. For one thing, each of us who writes these blogs is hoping that someone else will read them. Adding wee bits of entertainment can help.

If we write blogs for our libraries, or have branch home pages (as GRRL will very soon!) these might be fun things to add as well. So while they are silly on the one hand, I think they can be useful as well. 

I've also thought these would be great fun for publicizing and promoting programs. I love the idea of making READ posters with library staff, community members, etc. Also, the newspaper article generator was great fun, as was the dictionary entry generator. I can think of many ways that we could use these tools to make our programs, blogs, web pages, etc. much more entertaining, and therefore to generate more interest in what we're doing.

I tried making the comics. Made one on MakebeliefsComix that I liked well enough,  but couldn't export it. Then I remade it on ToonDoo. First I used the regular embedding and couldn't figure out how to resize it to make it fit the screen. The second time, I embedded as Flash code and that worked better. So, fun, but more cumbersome than I would have expected. All the same, it is very gratifying for me to see my story made visual!

***

Update (an hour later): Made another comic; it went faster/better. Also, stumbled upon the comics by poesygalore do check her out! Her stuff is too funny!

No comments: