Friday, March 14, 2008

Thing 14 - Library Thing

This was fun. I had a great time setting up my eclectic library (werewolves and baking, oh my...). The links were great too.

I really like the idea of using LT widgets to showcase new items in the collection and to facilitate social networking over books via the library. I also like the way LT might help with getting more user-friendly tags into the OPAC, and therefore helping patrons find what they're looking for. I understand the importance of formalized subject headings, but I think libraries risk becoming irrelevant if they don't find a way to combine that level of technicality with some way for the lay person/patron to interact with the catalog in a way that feels comfortable and accessible.

Another interesting area was the Library 2.0 blogroll under Thingology Blog. There were some very thought provoking blogs there that I look forward to revisiting.

No comments: