Friday, March 14, 2008

Things 13 - Online "Productivity" Tools

I sort of yawned through most of these tools. I am a list-maker, but I make my lists on little scraps of paper or on the backs of obsolete library-hour cards. Then I leave them scattered all over the house and later wonder where they are or, more likely, why whatever it was was important enough to write into a list. It's sort of messy but it works for me.

I've been using "my yahoo" for quite a while, and like the "everything on one page page" idea. I did like iGoogle, and since I've become so enamored with google-docs lately (I'm telling everyone), perhaps I'll look at changing to that.

One thing about Remember the Milk -- did you know that there's also a dontforgetthemilk.com. And I know this because I misplaced the scrap of paper with notes about Thing 13 and then attempted to rely on my memory. Dontforgetthemilk is not nearly so pretty as Rememberthemilk.com.

I looked at the calendars as well, but they didn't rock my world either. I adjusted my lifestyle several years ago so that I don't need a fancy, thorough, detailed calendar. I like my life that way, thank you very much. The freebie purse calendar that came in the mail is plenty for me.

I think one thing that comes across to me with the calendar, sticky notes, lists etc. is the overwhelming notion that I don't want to be that attached to a computer. Scraps of paper lists are messy and sometimes do get lost, and that does occasionally result in embarrassing moments of double-scheduling, but I'd rather have that than feel like I was one-limb short if I didn't have a computer and Internet access with me at the moment that I have a burst of inspiration.

So, thanks for introducing me to these lovelies. Glad they're cool and useful to some folks, but they don't do much for me.

No comments: