Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thing 18 - You Tube

Viewing You Tube videos is one of the few ways that I actually "play" on my computer. I can waste a significant amount of time perusing videos, though I don't think I'm the "typical" you-tube viewer. I love looking for new videos from places in Europe and Africa where I've lived/traveled. I also like looking at mashups put together by Browncoats (those freakishly devoted to the Firefly series and the movie Serenity) and Discworld aficionados (those freakishly fanatical about the stories by Terry Pratchett).

However, what I have never found You Tube to be particularly good at was helping me find practical information. I'm sure it's out there, and a percentage is probably well made. But generally speaking, it hasn't been useful in that way. I looked for a video on weeding a library collection... nothing found. At least nothing relevant. I was thinking that it would be good to add such a beasty into the GRRL weeding manual wiki (which I'm currently updating). Guess we'll have to make it ourselves.

Anyway, here's a short video clip of the market in Kpalime, Togo, about 15 k from where I lived a lifetime and a half ago (okay, from 1990 to 93). I've spent many a day perusing the aisles here, looking at beads and fabric, mostly. If my memory serves, there was some excellent street food to be found there as well.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hi!

I disagree with you about not finding any usable material on YouTube because you found the video of the market. I'm sure that it stirred a lot of memories...that is significant even if it only has meaning for yourself.

I have found some interesting video, but like anything else you have to use a lot of discretion. Who knows what will happen in the future.

True...I feel somewhat the same way about tagging. In fact I have yet to figure about the appeal. Then again then some folks really like them.

It is interesting to see how people go about identifying and tagging their information...like LibraryThing its just another tool just another tool in the mix which may or may not be useful.

Cindy Gruwell
23 Things CMLE Coach